The History of Our School
St. Dunstan’s Catholic Primary School is attached to St. Dunstan’s Catholic Church in Woking, Surrey. The school is set in attractive grounds in a residential area to the south of the town centre. It is a Voluntary Aided School for Catholic children aged 4 - 11 Years.
History of the school
The first entry in the official log book states: "The school opened on September 3rd with 137 children on roll and three full time assistant teachers, a secretary and three dinner supervisors."
That was in 1957, but the history of the school goes back even further.
Canon O'Connor, the Parish Priest of Woking, had planned to build a school for the young Catholic children of the Parish, but it was not until the Red House in Onslow Crescent became vacant that his dream was realised.
Eventually, the property was purchased and renovated and made ready for its first intake - twenty children under the care of Sister Conrad. More and more children arrived and whilst they worked, the builders began to clear the site and to lay the foundations of the new school. This was opened in 1957, with Miss Enright as the Head Teacher of the Infants and Sister Conrad Head Teacher of the Juniors. Two schools housed in one building but both under the patronage of St. Dunstan’s.
The first St. Dunstan’s Primary School was officially opened by Archbishop O'Hara, the Apostolic Delegate for Great Britain on May 22nd 1958 but in 1971, with the opening of St Francis First School nearby, St Dunstan’s became a Middle School for 8 - 12 year olds. With Surrey's decision to revert to Primary education, St Dunstan’s Primary School was opened in September 1993 and blessed by Cormac, Bishop of Arundel & Brighton, on January 14 1994.