St. Dunstan’s School WhatsApp Etiquette: Written by Parents for Parents
The purpose of the class WhatsApp is to send messages to the entire group, which are relevant to the school. The class WhatsApp is run by the class rep and not by school staff. It is not intended as a chat forum, but for information sharing that might be helpful to parents from parents.
By joining the class WhatsApp group, parents agree to follow the agreed etiquette. There is no requirement for parents to join a class Whatsapp group as all information is sent directly to parents via SchoolComms. If parents choose to join a class WhatsApp group they agree to follow the etiquette below, written and agreed by parents for parents.
Thank you for your understanding.
- Always keep to the purpose of the group by only sending messages relevant for the whole group.
- Please don’t use the group to share or discuss non-school related issues.
- Please don’t spam the group! If you would like to share memes or adverts, please set up your own group.
- Never use a group to berate someone else or air grievances. If you have an issue please address it one-on-one with the relevant person.
- Switch to private messages if you want to have a one-one-one conversation.
- If someone asks a question and you don’t know the answer, please wait for someone who knows the answer to reply rather than post, ‘don’t know’.
- For items of lost property: please check the lost property boxes and wait a couple of days for the item to be found/returned before posting about it to the group.
- Post your message in one single chunk of text, rather than post every word or sentence in a new message.
- ‘Thank you’ messages are not required
- If you are not sure, ask yourself these three questions before you post:
- Is this relevant?
- Is this necessary?
- Is this a good time to post?
Parents can of course leave the group at any time!